Green Fingers I Wish

Monday, November 30, 2009

Saffron - What a Valuable Commodity!



Now if I had the choice of growing any plant on earth I think I`d have to go for the saffron crocus. Not so much for its looks, more for its value.


Saffron is the most expensive spice in the world. More valuable weight for weight than gold in fact. The value arises because to get just a small amount of saffron from one plant takes a lot of effort. But of course no one would go to the trouble of extracting saffron on such a small scale. To make it worthwhile you need thousands of flowers.


That means that a huge space consisting of many hectares is needed for a reasonable amount of cultivation.


That being the case somehow with my smallish garden I`ll give up on the idea and leave it to the experts.



1 Comments:

  • Easter is the most important of the Christian festivals and celebrates the resurrection of Christ, tough many pagan elements have become part of the celebration and these aspects are often celebrated by Christians and non-Christians alike, Saffron extract .

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home